The Client's Challenge
At Repsol Sinopec’s Piper Bravo Platform, a valve was seized closed, preventing startup of production, and resulting in downtime which would have cost them significant profits.
Repsol Sinopec made an emergency response request to CONSUB. CONSUB put an immediate plan in place. We:
- Reviewed client-provided data for the 10-inch class 900 valve
- Established valve stem damage torque
- Designed and manufactured adapter to interface tool to valve stem
- Within 32 hours mobilised specialist personnel and equipment to Aberdeen Heliport
Once we had access to the valve, it was opened within 15 minutes.
No additional isolation was required, and all work could be done under a general permit to work.
The valve serviceability was confirmed, which meant that further, significant isolation was not required, and the valve could be used again in the future.
No loss of production, no isolations, no new valve procurement, no additional shutdowns required, no knock-on production-impact to third parties. Altogether, this resulted in £24m savings.
Potential for others
The C-VRS Valve Release System is a safe, industry-qualified, and field-proven technique provided by our qualified and experienced personnel.
The service can be applied to a range of scenarios, including:
- Emergency Call Out
- Onsite standby service for valves known to be difficult to operate, or for critical valve operations
- Maintenance support for cycling of valves known to be difficult to operate
- Valve operations in confined spaces
- Planned valve release and rehabilitation campaigns where a number of valves are known to be seized on the same site
Our system provides a safe and reliable method to operate a seized valve and delivers significant cost savings to our clients by reducing down time and associated production loss.